Thursday, December 6, 2012

Extra Credit Blog Post- HopStop


Does anyone else ever feel completely lost and confused when they are trying to navigate their way around an unfamiliar city? Maybe you're visiting from out of town or you have just moved to the are and are having a hard time trying to learn your way around, either way it can be an incredibly confusing and chaotic process. Luckily, there's an app for that. HopStop is one of my favorite apps on my iphone, and makes any city experience like having a local from that city with you at all times. HopStop works similar to the way a gps works in your car, it automatically uses its gps locator to sync itself to the major city/area you are in, and then offers a list of routs and public transportation options for you to get from your current location to your desired destination.  Lets say I was visiting NYC, and was looking for the quickest way to get from uptown to downtown. I would open up HopStop, select "current location" as my starting point, then type in the address of my desired location as my end point and right away HopStop brings up a list of possible routs I could take to get to my destination. The app could display two or three subway routs, show options of different bus routes, block-by-block directions for walking, or a combination of any or all of these. Hopstop can also display a map of the area you're in, locate the nearest subway station to you, and remember past trips and routes you've taken.HopStop is available to apple, windows, and android markets as well as directly from your computer or in an web format that can be accessed from any internet compatible device. I myself have personally used HopStop on many occasions. I frequently visit Boston and NYC and often like to explore the city's, although i spend much time at both these cities i have yet to be able to navigate my way around by myself. HopStop is single-handily responsible for helping me to reach countless destinations and taking away much of the stress and chaos that can come with attempting to navigate any major city. Two thumbs up for HopStop! 

No comments:

Post a Comment