Friday, December 14, 2012

Word Bully



For my final blog post in relation to communication driven Apps, I wanted to take a slightly different approach by researching Apps, instead of using ones that I am familiar with.  In my search my main focus was if there were any Apps that have the prevalence of cyber bullying similar to the Web.  The cyber bullying article sparked my interest,  because I think it is an important issue that is too often ignored.  In my search I found the opposite of what I was looking for, but it was still relevant to this issue.  I found an App that can help to cut down cyberbullying over  devices.  
 I found an App for android phones that is called Word Bully, this App has a lot of potential and seems as if it may be helpful, in putting an action in place against cyberbullies.  This App is ideal for parents, who have younger children with androids that should be monitored. The articles states "Adults need to start paying attention to the language of youth if they want antibullying interventions to succeed." and that is exactly what this App does.  It is a parental monitor for their child's phone, where they can be alerted and notified when certain words are sent or received from their child's phone.  Parents can include acronyms , profanity, vulgar language, or any other type of offensive communications.  This will allow adults to monitor bully behavior, and monitor what is being said to and by their children.  Opposite of the article however, I would suggest that this is aimed toward the elementary and middle age school groups rather than high school.  
                As of right not the App, has a tremendous downfall since it is not iOs compatible.  Obtaining access to the iOs operating system, would be very beneficial to Iconosys, which is the maker of this App.  However, this should not be too big of a concern because they are currently in the processing of making the App compatible with iOs, and it is expected to be complete by Christmas.  Also, after a short trial the App costs $9.99, if it is as good as it sounds than that should not a concern.

No comments:

Post a Comment