Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Shazam



I'm sure I'm not the only person who feels like they would be lost without their cellphone. Nowadays cellphones can do practically anything we would ever need and in a matter of seconds, but one of the app's on my cellphone that i would truly have a hard time without is Shazam. Shazam is a music identifying app, just simply hold your phone up to any music playing, press Shazam's button to activate the program, and Shazam will use your phones built-in microphone to listen to the song it hears, creating an "acoustic fingerprint" in a sense,  and match it to one of the songs in its 8 million song database. Thus, identifying the song for the user.

A plus of Shazam is that phone users need not have a smartphone in order to use Shazam, simply be able to get internet access to their phones for Shazam to connect with its database and find the song that matches the clip. As of 12/5/12 Shazam is still in the top 100 "free app" category of the itunes app store, quite impressive for an app that has been around for over 12 years and is currently being utilized an average of 10 million times a day worldwide.

I for one can not count the amount of times that i have been in a store or in a car and heard a song that i instantly liked and wanted to know what the name of it was and who it was by. Having Shazam in my pocket is an extremely easy and convenient way to for me to quickly find out the information i need about a song and even gives me the option to purchase the song and download it directly to my iphone. I can personally thank Shazam for finding half of the music on my music library for me, and will 100% continue to use Shazam in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment