Thursday, November 1, 2012

Blackboard App


The Blackboard app for mobile devices is very helpful and efficient in all that it intends to do.  This app allows students to contact their instructors as well as their classmates directly with a handheld device.  Not only is this a great way to contact and communicate with others it also allows users to submit assignments, which may have to meet strict deadlines enforced by the program no longer allowing submissions after a certain time.  The blackboard app allows its users to personalize the app encouraging them to mark their favorite courses, add deadlines to their calendar, and also it gives them the option to get notifications on deadlines and when professors post new announcements. This app, in a sense allows students to have their laptop with them at all times, and they can utilize it as necessary.  Blackboard is a fantastic website in general because of the means of communication it has, allowing students to interact with other classmates and their professors.  Through the various options available blackboard creates its own community within the classroom.  There are many different ways for one student to contact another.  Communication can be done through the use of emails, a discussion board, and there is even an option to chat whoever is online at the same time.   Blackboard assists in perfecting communication for group projects, online posts, and personal interaction, during the times when we are not in class. 

In various class activities, there was an issue of trust when it comes to the internet.  It is a never ending question on who to trust, who is accurate, and who is credible.  The great thing about this site is that it can be trusted.  All courses listed on blackboard are monitored by an instructor, which prevents students from relaying false information.  in the case that false information is posted the instructor can easily comment on it or delete the post.   After reading about how to promote your organization and building trust online, this App does everything that Cowan mentions to become a more reliable source online.  Starting off with getting the design right blackboard has a very simple, and easy to follow layout.  It is easy to use and very inviting with a layout similar to that of a social network, just in an educational forum.  This simple design allows users to navigate freely and easily throughout their use of the website.  Although blackboard does not have any photography to seem more inviting, it allows professors to instill that trust by adding their own graphics, while it allows students to add a personal picture similar to that of a social network.  Cowan mentions an idea to limit the use of advertising.  Being that it is an educational app/website I have never seen any types of advertising used, which is great because it provides the users with less distraction when trying to complete their tasks.  After completing 6 semesters at the University, it is obvious that Blackboard follows the suggestion of Cowan to “keep it fresh”, this website has made small unnoticed changes, as well as big drastic ones.  We are not using the same blackboard from freshman year,  recently the entire University updated to the new 9.0 version.  Although the website and app are not perfect, there are professionals on blackboard who have made problem solving easy and who have assisted me personally in helping me to use their program.  I was having a problem where my courses were disappearing and I was nervous that I would miss deadlines, and that I would not be able to obtain important information from my professors.  All it took was one phone call and 20 minutes of my time and I have yet to see this problem occur again.  In actuality I used to be unsure about the website because technology is so temperamental, and the older blackboard just simply was not as good.  I never used to trust blackboard to get my things in on time, the fact of having not control o0ther then pressing "submit" scared me.   Having a problem with the site is what helped me invest my trust into this site.  When they brought my courses back and confirmed with me that my last submission went through I was relieved, and realized it was way more reliable then i was giving it credit for.  Although it does still freeze time to time, and even kicks me off, I know that if I ever have a problem it will be quickly resolved.  After all, communication on the internet is never guaranteed because technology has a long way from becoming perfect. 

No comments:

Post a Comment